We use cookies on this website, you can read about them here. To use the website as intended please Accept Cookies

Inside Bikes

Got a question




Last time we spoke I had just arrived in France for the Magny Cours leg of the season.


Magny Cours is a circuit where the weather always plays a part, so it's lucky that the Aprilia is good in wet conditions. The weekend was good and we managed to stay in the top three the whole time during practice. In super pole, as predicted, it rained - but I managed to secure pole position anyway!


On race day, the rain returned. I was super excited and very confident to get the win, but, with some very bad luck, we had a technical problem which made the rear of the bike keep locking and, in the end, my team pulled me in to try and fix the issue - unfortunately, this meant my race was over. Race two was dry but, despite trying our hardest overnight, we never managed to solve the problem, meaning I had to settle for a disappointing 5th.


After France, we jumped in the van and headed back to the UK. We did it in one stint but I didn't get home until 5am, so Monday was soemthing of a chill day for me. During the rest of the week however, I managed to secure a few good training sessions with Kirk and, moving away from the track, I finally managed to build my pit bike! That same day, me and my dad went to Fat Cats motor park, not only to play and ride our bikes on their go kart track, but also to go watch little Karl Harris race his new Mx bike. So basically I got to watch Mx and ride mini bikes all day!


On Sunday, me and Alex Lowes had organised a day on our own mx bikes at our friends house. It was great, world mx rider Tommy Searl was there and spent the whole day helping us out. We also managed to get some great photos over the jumps, which was a real bonus.


On Monday, we all flew to Doha for my last race of the year. It's always exciting because the race is at night and we get to spend the whole day at our hotel, chilling and relaxing by the pool.


From Friday I struggled with bike set up and, as a result, felt we were on the back foot all weekend.


I qualified 5th but couldn't help but think that if we had managed to get the bike working properly, we could've really challenged the guys at the front of the grid. Subsequently, Race one was a disaster. I had a battle at the front but again still struggled with the bike on corner entry. But from race one to race two, my guys worked brilliantly and found a very good direction that we could head in and, luckily for me, it transformed the bike. I felt so at ease with the new setup which allowed me to really go for it from the first lap to the last. In the end, we won the race in the very last corner. It was agreat end to the season for both me and the team.


I'm back to the UK now and still looking at my options for next season. I really feel that we can challenge for the world title, but at the same time, I know I need to make the right choices over the next few weeks.


I will keep you all posted, speak soon.