Carole Nash
Content Writer
Published: 26th November 2019

Whether it’s a tour of the UK or a European expedition, one of the best things about owning a motorbike is hitting the open road with your biking mates and going on an adventure. Unfortunately, if you don’t meet certain requirements or have the right documentation, you won’t get very far.

You need more than just a CBT

That’s right, there’s many cases of young riders that have just passed their CBT venturing on their first journey outside of the UK and being pulled up for not having the correct level of documentation.

To ride abroad legally you need to hold a full UK motorcycle licence. This is because a CBT is only valid in the UK. 

And if you decide to get a licence, you can only ride the same level of motorbike in terms of output and engine size. For example, if you have an A1 licence, you can only ride motorcycles between 120cc and 125cc abroad. 

Riding in Europe

There are a few essentials you need to have with you at all times whilst riding your motorbike in Europe:

  • Insurance certificate 
  • Passport 
  • GB sticker if not displayed on your licence plate
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • Hi-vis jacket – needs to be carried in France. You could be fined for not having one and face an even heftier fine if you’re caught not wearing one in the event of a breakdown.
  • Spare bulbs 
  • Helmets – required in all EU countries, but some require reflective stickers 
  • Breathalyser kit is a legal requirement in France but there’s no longer a fine for not carrying one.

Insurance Policies

Always check your motorbike insurance policy to see if you are covered to ride abroad (not all policies have an automatic level of cover).

If you aren’t covered, European cover can usually be added usually at a small cost.

It is worth noting that if you do have European cover, you’re usually covered for 90 days. But do check your policy before heading out.