Carole Nash
Content Writer
Published: 12th November 2019

Motorcycles have been included in a new scrappage scheme for non-ULEZ compliant vehicles with Londoners who receive certain benefits now eligible for a £1000 grant to buy a ULEZ-certified replacement two or four-wheel vehicle.

ULEZ – Ultra Low Emissions Zone – was further tightened earlier this year by Transport for London (TfL) which recently imposed a new £12.50 charge for non-compliant vehicles to enter a newly created area.

The new ULEZ charge came into force on April 8, 2019 and applies to any motorcycle or scooter that isn’t registered as being compliant with Euro3 emissions regulations. This ruling has left thousands of owners who live within the scheme unable to use their machines without incurring the daily £12.50 charge. 

TfL recently announced a new scrappage scheme which is open to those who live within the 32 London boroughs or the City of London and also receive certain means-tested and non means-tested disability benefits. 

Under the scrappage scheme, Londoners who received certain benefits are now eligible for a £1000 grant when they scrap a non-ULEZ compliant Powered Two Wheeler (PTW) or P and purchase a new, ULEZ compliant PTW or PLV. If they scrap a non-compliant car, they can claim £2,000 against a new, compliant PLV or other eligible vehicle. 

The Tfl website explains more about the rules of the scheme as explained below:

The scheme offers two payments:

  • £1,000 to scrap a motorcycle or moped
  • £2,000 to scrap a car

The vehicle must not meet the ULEZ emissions standards. The payment can be used to purchase a vehicle which does meet the ULEZ standards.

Eligible applicants and vehicles

To apply, you must be:

  • Living within the 32 London boroughs or the City of London
  • Claiming benefits
  • Applicants must receive one or more of the benefits below: 
  • Universal Credit
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
  • Working Tax Credit

Applicants can only apply to scrap cars, motorcycles or mopeds that:

  • Are registered with the DVLA to the applicant (or someone who lives at the same address as the applicant) and owned for more than 12 months before 23 October 2019.
  • Are insured – see our motorbike insurance or our six-wheeler policies
  • Have up-to-date MOT and road tax
  • Don’t meet ULEZ emission standards

Check the TfL for more details and also links to see what benefits you might be eligible to claim.

There is another potential way for owners of motorcycles and scooters to register their bike to avoid the ULEZ charges. Inside Bikes covered this issue back in April 2019.