When you own a classic car, it can be easy to overlook the tyres. They aren’t nearly as beautiful as the body, right? But the right kind of tyres can make a huge difference, especially if you’re trying to find the right ones for a classic sports vehicle. Italian manufacturer Pirelli are aiming to make it easier for you to find the ideal set of tyres, with their new ‘Collezione’ range. These are tyres developed specifically for classic European sports cars built between the 1950s and 1970s.
Tyre technology has come a long way, but Pirelli have made sure to stick to the characteristics of the original tyres. The range is so detailed that even the period-correct sidewall lettering has been replicated. A benefit of modern technology is that the tyres are safer and perform better than their predecessors.
Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo and Maserati owners will be able to buy Collezione tyres. Pirelli have also announced the development of five different tyre sizes for pre-1989 Porsche 911s. To celebrate Lancia Flaminia’s 60th anniversary, the company have also brought out a new tyre size for the car.
Motor enthusiasts who own a Group B rally racing car can take comfort in a P7 Corsa Classic tyre. These tyres will fit a variety of rally-inspired European cars.
Here’s a list of the tyres found in the Collezione line:
- Cinturato CA67 – Used for 1950s cars, including the Aston Martin DB5, Ferrari 250 GT and Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.
- Cinturato CN72 – Used for 1960s cars. Originally, this tyre was used for the full Ferrari range, as well as the Maserati 4000 and 5000. It can also be used on the Aston Martin DB6, Ferrari Daytona, Lamborghini Miura P400 and original Maserati Ghibli.
- Cinturato CN36 – Used for the 1968 Ferrari Dino. This tyre also fits a Porsche 911, Fiat Dino and Mercedes 280.
- Cinturato CN12 – This tyre was paired with 1970s cars, including the Aston Martin DB4, Jaguar E-Type, Maserati Bora and Lamborghini Miura.
- Cinturato P7 – A 1970s rally racing tyre that fits a Porsche 911 G.
- Cinturato P5 – This tyre was developed for Jaguars in the late 1970s.
- P7 Corsa Classic – This tyre will fit cars like the Ferrari 308, Fiat 131 Abarth and Audi Quattro GrB. Offered in dry and wet versions.