1. It’s had a name change

Road tax is now called Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) although you still may hear people refer to it as road tax.


2. Paper tax discs where abolished in 2014

Not only are paper tax discs a thing of the past, but the VED no longer transfers automatically when you sell the vehicle. You also need to get your own VED if you change your bike.


3. There’s no tax for classic motorbikes

Classic motorbikes that are more than 40 years-old  don’t have to pay for it. However, you still have to be registered for VED though. The same goes for electric motorbikes.


4. The amount you pay is based on the engine capacity

Unlike cars which are taxed according to how much CO2 they produce, for motorbikes, it’s all about engine size.

Engine size (cc)

  • Up to 150 = £19 (annual rate) / n/a (6 month rate)
  • 151-400 = £42 (annual rate) / n/a (6 month rate)
  • 401-600 = £64 (annual rate) / £35.20 (6 month rate)
  • Over 600 = £88 (annual rate) / £48.40 (6 month rate)


5. In fact, the most expensive bikes only cost 24p per day

And the cheapest motorbikes cost just 5p per day. The tax goes towards the upkeep of roads and the building of new ones.


6. It’s easiest to sort out your tax online

It takes less than 5 minutes to tax your motorcycle online. All you need is a reference number from the DVLA. If you don’t have a reference number you’ll need your vehicle’s logbook (V5C) or the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip’ (V5C/2), a valid MoT certificate (if the bike is more than three years-old) and proof of motorcycle insurance.


7. You don’t have to tax your motorbike online

It may be the easiest way, but you don’t have to tax your motorbike online. You can also do it at the Post Office or by ringing up the DVLA. The choice is yours!


8. If you buy a used bike you will need to tax it before riding

Use the reference number on the new keeper supplement (V5C/2) from the logbook!


9. You can get a refund from the DVLA

If you sell your motorbike you will automatically receive a refund for any full months tax remaining from the DVLA. However, this will only apply from the time the DVLA is notified of the sale.


10. Not having VED could affect your motorbike insurance

Having no VED doesn’t automatically invalidate your insurance. However, you should check the small print of your policy because every insurer is different and some may have a clause that says your vehicle must be completely road legal and compliant with VED to have their motorbike insurance.