Yamaha’s aggressive new model launch programme for 2021 is continuing with news of a new MT-09 SP, which is an upspecced version of the all-new MT-09 first revealed two weeks ago.
The new MT-09 SP is smarter, sharper and more exclusive, with high end suspension and a new colour scheme, inspired by the R1M superbike.
Announced last month, the standard MT-09 comes with a heavily revised, 119bhp, 889cc Euro5-compliant CP3 engine enclosed in an all-new aluminium die-cast frame. The MT-09 comes with revised rider aids, such as a quick shifter, traction control, wheel lift control and a brake control system. As well as that, the dashboard has had an upgrade, introducing a modern full-colour 3.5-inch TFT display, while the styling has been revised to reflect the new ‘MT’ family design also seen on the MT-07, which was revealed last week.
For the SP version, the MT-09 gains upgraded suspension, with a fully-adjustable KYB front suspension package to go with the Öhlins rear shock absorber. There’s also a new double-stitched seat and the R1 inspired colour scheme, which features a new blue and black livery on the air duct and fuel tank. To add to the rider aids featured on the standard MT-09, the MT-09 SP will also feature a cruise control system for a more relaxing ride. Riders can choose to activate cruise control at speeds of at least 30mph and in fourth gear and above.
Another feature that is exclusive to the MT-09 SP is the aluminium frame which features a unique brushed and anodized surface that complements the new Crystal Graphite frame.
MT-09 SP and MT-09 technical highlights:
New 889cc inline three-cylinder 12-valve DOHC liquid-cooled EU5 engine
- More power at all engine speeds than the outgoing model
- 7% increase in maximum torque at lower rpm
- 4bhp increase in maximum power, to 119bhp
- New 2.3kg lighter CF die-cast aluminium Deltabox chassis
- Lower 189kg wet weight – 4kg reduction and the lightest in 900cc naked class
- Shorter wheelbase for more dynamic handling
- New lightweight aluminium swingarm
- Bare and beautiful ‘coverless’ new generation MT styling
- Premium quality throughout, with Crystal Graphite frame
- Full LED lighting with Y-shape brand signature icon front and rear
- New Quick Shift System with up and downshift functions
- Refined A&S clutch
- Light and compact new six-axis IMU
- Lean-sensitive rider aids: TCS, SCS and LIFt with three intervention modes
- ABS and Brake Control system (BC)
- D-MODE switchable engine running modes
- New ultra-light Spin-Forged 17-inch 10-spoke wheels
- Larger 180/70-17 rear tyre with 120/70-17 front tyre
- Full colour 3.5-inch TFT instruments with remote handlebar switch
- Radial front master cylinder, 298mm dual front discs
The new MT-09 SP will be available in an exclusive Icon Performance colour scheme and is expected to arrive in UK Yamaha dealerships from March 2021.