classic-car-news

Classic Car news

Older Cars At Risk From Not Being Compatible With New E10 Fuel

new-fuels-not-compatible-old-cars.jpg

The UK government’s campaign to lower carbon emissions could mean popular family cars may be incompatible with a new fuel that’s being rolled out. E10 fuel is a new type of biofuel that’s being billed as environmentally friendly. E10 is made up of 90% regular unleaded petrol and 10% ethanol. It’s produced through the fermentation of plants like corn, wheat, sugarcane and barley. The ethanol absorbs carbon dioxide, so it’s thought to lower greenhouse gas emissions.

E10 fuel can be used with modern cars, but there’s a fear that older vehicles wouldn’t be able to run on E10. The fuel is already being sold in France, Germany and Finland. We’re taking a closer look at E10 and why it’s being introduced to the UK. 

Why is the government proposing E10? 

The government is under increased pressure to meet targets for 10% of transport energy to come from renewable sources by 2020. Current fuel regulations mean ethanol could be anything up to 5% of the fuel that’s bought. The new targets means that ethanol needs to compromise 10%, meaning fuel could become more expensive. 

Transport Minister Jesse Norman said “this government is ambitiously seeking to reduce the UK’s reliance on imported fossil fuels and cut carbon emissions from transport. But drivers of older vehicles should not be hit hard in the pocket as a result.” 

What are the advantages and disadvantages of E10? 

The main advantage of E10 is that it’s meant to be environmentally friendly. According to the environmental agency ePURE, fusing 10% of Europe’s petrol with ethanol through E10 would decrease carbon emissions by 6%. 

Critics have argued that because E10 is produced from plants, it may increase deforestation. There has also been talk of E10 being less efficient than the current E5 grade fuel. 

What cars could be affected by E10? 

According to The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, 92.2% of vehicles will already be compatible with E10. The remaining 7.8%, roughly 1.5 million, are at risk. Research carried out by the RAC Foundation revealed the top ten cars that are incompatible with E10. 

  1. Volkswagen Gold – 28,066
  2. MG MGB – 20,890
  3. Mazda MX-5 – 18,162
  4. Nissan Micra – 15,785
  5. Morris Minor – 12,796
  6. Rover 25 – 9897
  7. MG MGF – 9352
  8. Ford Escort – 8947
  9. Rover Mini – 7614
  10. MG TF – 7568

Classic Car News, Inside Classics

You also may be
interested in...

Classic Car News

Can you drive a motorhome on a car licence?

Before you take the plunge and buy a motorhome, it’s probably worth checking if you’re actually eligible to drive one on your current driving licence.  For the most part, the year you passed your driving test determines whether or not you’re legally...

Read more Classic Car News, Inside Classics

Keep up to date with our news & blogs

Bike News

Kawasaki commits to electric future

Kawasaki has become the first mainstream motorcycle manufacturer to fully commit to an electric future, announcing that they will introduce 10 hybrid or fully-electric vehicles by 2025.

Read more Bike News
Bike News

Meet Triumph’s middleweight adventure machine: the Tiger Sport 660

Triumph’s new Tiger Sport 660 looks set to be a serious contender in the middleweight adventure segment.

Read more Bike News
Bike News

Multistrada V2 gives Ducati more spec in the middleweight adventure battle

Ducati has updated its popular Multistrada 950 for 2022, with more spec, less weight and a new name – the Multistrada V2.

Read more Bike News

Have some questions? Check out our tips & guides pages for some great information

Motorbike Reviews

Reviewed: Honda MSX 125 Grom

Not only has Honda’s MSX 125 been given some performance updates for 2022, but it’s also officially adopted the Grom name too. So why are these bikes so popular, and just how good is the new model?

Read more Bike Reviews
Motorbike Reviews

Reviewed: Harley-Davidson Street Bob

See a bright orange Harley-Davidson and you instantly think of XR750s flying sideways round a dirt track oval.

Read more Bike Reviews
Motorbike Reviews

Reviewed: Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Honda’s Africa Twin range has seen quite a few updates over the years. But are they enough to keep it at the top of the adventure segment?

Read more Bike Reviews