Carole Nash Kit Car Insurance

While some classic car enthusiasts like to buy their motors, others prefer to build their dream cars by hand. Kit cars are a labour of love, as many enthusiasts spend years working on their vehicle. Whatever the reason for building a kit car, you’ll want to get it insured. As classic car insurance brokers, we’re dedicated to helping you find the right policy, and here’s what you should take into consideration when owning a kit car.

What happens after you’ve built your kit car?

After you’ve built the car, you’ll need to get it examined by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency and pass an Individual Vehicle Approval. This is a legal requirement that determines whether the car is roadworthy or not.

Test centres can be found all over the UK. Once you’ve passed the test you’ll need to complete aV627/1 form. To complete the process, fill out a V55/4 form to register your car for a number plate.

During these stages you may be asked for evidence of your building history. It’s essential that you document the build of your kit car, which includes a list of parts and photos of key build stages. When applying for kit car insurance, it’s important you supply engine and body details.

Insuring your kit car

  • UK & European breakdown and accident recovery, including Homestart (worth over £100 when compared to other providers)
  • Up to £100,000 legal expenses cover if you’re in an accident that’s not your fault
  • Agreed value
  • Club members discount
  • Salvage retention rights – If your car is declared a total loss following a claim, you could have the option of buying the remaining salvage from the vehicle
  • European Cover for up to 90 days
  • Choose your own specialist repairer

Other ways to save