Can I get motorbike insurance without CBT?

One of the questions we get asked a lot here at Carole Nash, is whether you can get motorbike insurance without having undergone any CBT.


What is a cbt?

It stands for Compulsory Basic Training and consists of both practical and theoretical, on and off road elements. It is a course you usually have to take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road.

The training makes sure you can ride safely on your own while you practise for your full moped or motorcycle test.


However, there are some exemptions. For example, you don’t have to take CBT if you:

  • want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001
  • want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
  • live and ride on some offshore islands


Why is cbt necessary?

It’s important to undertake CBT to ensure your safety and the safety of other riders before you start learning on the road. A CBT course gets you road ready to start learning with a qualified instructor. The point is to be safe and confident on the road and be prepared to take a practical test.


What to expect from cbt

There are five stages to CBT, including introductory theoretical training, practical training and practical riding skills overseen by an instructor. A CBT course can usually be taken over the course of one day.

You can’t really “fail” a CBT, as you’re not being tested. However, if the instructor feels that your riding is dangerous, they could refuse to give you a CBT certificate.


You can find out more about how to prepare for your CBT here.