Carole Nash
Content Writer
Published: 12th December 2019

For many riders, the prospect of buying a personalised number plate is an exciting one. Not only can they help make your motorbike more individual, you can usually pick out a phrase, slogan or initials that really mean something to you. Of course, getting a personalised reg will cost you extra money to have your own choice of numbers and letters.

If your motorbike was to get stolen, then this can be covered if you have comprehensive bike insurance in place. At Carole Nash, we offer quotes for motorbike insurance that can fully cover you if your bike is stolen – to get a quote give us a call today 0333 005 3355.

Plus we also provide every policyholder with a free DNA+ forensic protection system worth £30, to help prevent theft and aid in the recovery of your motorbike. 

But what about your stolen personalised reg plate? 

Getting your personalised plate back 

The first step you can take when your personalised reg is stolen, is to apply to keep it, which needs to be done by post and costs £80. 

Doing so will ensure the number stays in your name, which can help if you need to assign it to a new motorbike later for example.

Keep in mind that you must apply within two years and six months of telling the DVLA that your motorbike was stolen. And you can only get your private reg back if: 

  • You informed the police in regards to the theft.
  • Your motorbike had a valid MOT certificate and up-to-date vehicle tax at the time of the theft.

You’ll also need to send the DVLA a V317 ‘transfer or retain a vehicle registration number’ form, along with your motorbike’s logbook (V5C), or green ‘new keeper’ slip with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’.

What if you don’t get your motorbike back?

You need to wait six months, then via post you will be able to transfer your personalised reg to another vehicle. Once you get the personalised reg back, you can then inform the DVLA that you no longer own your motorbike. You can inform the DVLA online, or alternatively you can fill in the yellow ‘sell, transfer or part-exchange your vehicle to the motor trade’ section of your vehicle log book, and send the perforated section to DVLA.

SA99 1BA

If you are fortunate to get your stolen motorbike back, but you already applied to keep your personalised registration, then you can apply to put it on another vehicle straight away. Keep in mind that you must apply before you sell or scrap your motorbike.