Your guide to Green Cards and driving in the EU after Brexit


Important changes for when you’re driving in the EU after Brexit.


 As of 1st January 2021, the UK officially left the European Union, which meant all manner of important changes for businesses and citizens alike. Those changes also extend to anyone who wishes to travel to the continent – whether that be for work or a holiday.

For Carole Nash customers, that could affect you if you’re looking to ride your motorbike around some of Europe’s finest roads. Perhaps you have a classic car that you’re dying to test out overseas, or you’re gearing up for a family adventure abroad in your motorhome.

Whatever your situation, if you’re planning on riding or driving in the EU after Brexit, you’ll need to ensure you’re legally covered.

EU decision on Green Cards

Until recently, UK drivers entering the EU needed a Green Card to guarantee that the motorist had the necessary minimum motor insurance cover for driving in the country being travelled to.

However, from 2 August 2021, UK motorists entering the EU will not need a Green Card.

You'll still need to ensure you're legally covered if you’re planning on riding or driving in the EU. Please check your policy documents to find out what you’re covered for.

If you have any questions about driving in the EU, please start a Live Chat with our friendly team. Alternatively, you can give us a call on 0333 005 3355.

This page was last updated on 2 August 2021.