As the winter weather starts to set in, you may be considering storing your motorcycle away for the colder months. It can seem like a waste of money to keep your motorbike insurance in place for a whole 12 months, while your bike is stored away. So before you make a decision about declaring your vehicle off the road, make sure that you consider all of your options.

Before we go into them though, if you’re currently looking for a quote, then with Carole Nash it couldn’t be simpler – just give us a call today on 0333 005 3355.


What are the current rules?

Since 2011, any vehicle that’s not been officially declared off the road needs to have a valid insurance policy in place at all times. This is in accordance with the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) rules.

So, if you decide to cancel your motorbike insurance for the winter months, you must make sure that you have declared your bike off the road. You also need to then reverse this process when you next decide to start riding again. Failure to do this will result in risking a potential fine, and your motorcycle could end up being seized.


How do I declare my bike off the road?

You’ll be able to declare your vehicle as off the road with a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). This is essentially a declaration that you make to the DVLA, to prove that your motorbike is being kept off the public road. This doesn’t cost you anything, and declaring a SORN lasts for 12 months from the application.

It’s valid until your bike is taxed, sold or scrapped, and your vehicle must remain in Great Britain. To SORN your motorbike you can either apply online, or complete a V890 application and post it to the DVLA. Your registration number is required to complete the application, along with the reference number from your V5C, or the V11 reminder reference number.

Keep in mind, that if you decide to declare your motorcycle SORN, then you won’t be able to take it out for a quick ride when the weather lets up a little. If you think there’s a chance that you may want to take it out for a spin, then you’ll need to consider keeping some motorbike insurance in place.


Can I still insure my bike off the road

Another option to consider if you want keep your insurance running whilst your bike is in storage, is switching to Laid Up motorbike insurance. these policies don’t accrue NCB and if the policyholder were to cancel the road cover policy part way through the policy term, the NCB will be affected. This type of cover is designed to give you peace of mind when your motorcycle is safely locked away.

Even when your bike is stored away it can still be at risk to thieves and fire damage, so this type of cover can offer the protection you need. Laid Up motorbike insurance will keep you fully covered for Accidental damage, fire and theft whilst off the road. It’s available for any motorbikes that are over 30 years old, and can cover you over a 12 month period.

You may need to settle upon an Agreed Value with your insurer, which is the cost of your motorbike if you were to buy it in its current condition, and also takes into account its age, service history, total mileage, and modifications if applicable.


How does it work if I keep it insured?

If you’re looking to occasionally take your motorcycle out for a ride during winter then you’ll need to keep your insurance policy which offers road cover running. The advantage is that you’ll be able to take your bike out whenever you like and keep building up your NCB.

Riding uninsured will get you a fixed penalty of £300 and six points on your licence, with the potential for an unlimited fine and a disqualification from driving, if the case should go to court. So, don’t cancel your motorbike insurance if there’s a chance that you want to use your bike even just a handful of times over the winter months.

Remember, if you end up getting prosecuted for riding without insurance, then your future insurance premiums could be negatively affected as a result.


Are you looking for a quote?

At Carole Nash, we provide a range of motorbike insurance policies, designed to give you  complete peace of mind. Whether you need Laid Up motorbike insurance for 12 months, or you’re looking for fully comprehensive cover, we can get you the protection you need.

Fill out our online form today or give us a quick call on 0333 005 3355.