Can I legally ride my motorbike abroad?

Whether or not you can ride your motorbike abroad depends on your insurer and your chosen policy.

Here at Carole Nash, all our policies allow you to ride within the European Union with the same level of cover as you have in the UK, unless otherwise stated.

You don’t need a green card to do this, as it’s no longer legally required to cross borders within the EU.


How long can I use my motorbike abroad?

The length of time you can ride abroad varies and depends on your insurer and policy. It can be up to 90 days of cover.

To find out which rules are applicable to you, you can find this information in your Policy Schedule.


Do I need to notify my insurer and tell them I’ll be using my motorbike abroad?

Each insurer will have their own rules when it comes to notifying them of changes in your motorbike usage.

If you have motorbike insurance through Carole Nash and you’ll be using your bike in the EU you don’t have to contact us to let us know that you’re travelling.

Which documents do I need to take?

Be sure to take the following documentation with you on your trip:

  • Certificate of insurance
  • Breakdown card
  • Licence


What happens if I’m involved in an accident or my motorbike breaks down abroad?

It’s important that you have adequate breakdown cover before you travel. Some insurers will offer this within their existing policies while others will charge extra.

At Carole Nash, we’ll cover you for full EU Breakdown and Accident Recovery as standard. This means that if you break down in a EU country, all you need to do is get in touch with our team and we’ll help.


Will I need to abide by different rules when travelling abroad?

Before travelling, it’s wise to familiarise yourself with the rules of the country you’re riding in. Some EU nations have their own age restrictions and require drivers and motorcyclists to be older than they are in the UK.


Do I need travel insurance?

As with any trip abroad, you should purchase travel insurance before your trip. You could purchase this from an ordinary travel insurance company, or you could select a product that’s designed with bikers in mind.

Here at Carole Nash, we offer specially designed biker-friendly motorcycle travel insurance, meaning you’ll be fully protected in the event of a problem.

To learn more about using your motorcycle abroad and to enquire about our insurance products, please get in touch with the team at Carole Nash.