Thanks to the ever-increasing congestion on UK roads, mopeds and scooters are actually becoming more and more popular with many riders. No matter what model of moped, or scooter that you prefer though, it’s important to know the difference when it comes to moped insurance. Here at Carole Nash, getting a quote for motorcycle insurance is quick and easy, all you need to do is give us a call on 0800 804 7952.


It’s all about the engine size

One of the main reasons why mopeds and scooters are still going strong is because these lower cc bikes, are the perfect introduction to riding on the roads for young riders at 16, or for those commuting in busy traffic every morning.

The biggest difference between mopeds and scooters comes down to their engine size and speed. Mopeds have the smallest engines, with most models generally sporting an engine size up to 50cc or less. They have a top speed of around 28 to 45 mph, and even though they tend to have bigger wheels, mopeds usually look smaller than scooters. It terms of motorbike insurance, mopeds are often cheaper to insure than scooters, thanks to their smaller engine and slower speed making them less of a risk on the roads.

Scooters on the other hand have much more variation when it comes to engine size. They aren’t as restricted as mopeds to a set size of engine, meaning you can get more high and low powered powertrains. Scooters generally start from 50cc and can go up to 150cc, so their top speed potential is much faster. Their greater power and engine size normally make them more expensive than mopeds.


What do I need to ride a moped or scooter

Unlike a full UK driving licence, mopeds and scooters can be legally ridden from the age of 16, which of course adds to their appeal. However, you will still need certain things in place to make sure that you can take your moped or scooter out on the UK roads legally.

As well as being over 16, you need to have passed a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training). This will allow you to ride any 50cc scooter or moped legally in the UK. You will still need to ride with L plates because of the provisional licence. As long as you fit this criteria though, you can get out on the roads and start accumulating your NCD (no claims discount) with your motorbike insurance.

Of course you will also need to ensure that your ride is registered with the DVLA before it can be legally driven, and just like a car, it will need to be taxed. Any bikes under 150cc will fall into the lowest tax bracket (which currently stands at £19 per year in 2018).


Can my licence affect my insurance?

Although you only need a provisional licence to ride a 50cc scooter or moped with L plates, you’ll likely get more competitive insurance prices if you decide to get a full licence. You can aim for an AM, A1 or A2 licence by passing your theory and practical tests.

If you want to ride a moped without L plates then you’ll need to get an AM licence, and this will also allow you to ride at a maximum speed of 28mph. When you’re 17, you can look to get an A1 motorcycle licence, as long as you’ve already passed your CBT and your motorcycle theory test. A full  A1 licence allows you to ride motorbikes up to 125cc, which includes scooters.

Once you’re aged 19 or older you can then consider getting an A2 licence, which is the standard motorcycle licence required to ride bikes of at least 395cc, with an engine power of between 20-35kW. The licence you hold will allow motorbike insurance providers to see how competent you are on two-wheels, and having a full licence will prove that you are a skilled rider.


What level of insurance do I need for a moped or scooter?

When looking into motorbike insurance for your moped or scooter, you will need to make a decision on the level of cover you need. The level of cover you get and the amount of insurance premium you pay, will depend on the type of policy you decide to go with:

  • Third party only – will only cover costs to the other person or vehicle if you are involved in an accident. This means that if your vehicle is damaged, or you incur any other expenses as a result of the accident, you won’t be able to claim under this level of cover.
  • Third party fire & theft – offers the same level of protection as third party only motorbike insurance. However, it also provides additional cover if your vehicle is damaged by fire or stolen.
  • Fully comprehensive – is the highest level of motorbike insurance available. After a successful claim, with this level of protection in place, the cost of any damage to your vehicle, as well as any third party claims made against you following an accident, should be covered.


How can I lower the cost of cover for my moped or scooter?

There are a few measures you can take that may lower the cost of your motorbike insurance for your moped or scooter, including:

  • Keeping your vehicle in a secure locked garage.
  • Increasing your voluntary excess, meaning that you’ll have to pay more out if you were to make a claim.
  • Fitting an approved security device to your moped or scooter. Make sure to check with your motorcycle insurance provider first as the cost of device might be more than any possible discount in premium.
  • Comparing the price for each level of cover, because sometimes fully comprehensive insurance can actually work out to be the cheapest option.
  • Being accurate about the price of your vehicle, so that you avoid being underinsured and not being covered for its full value.

Make sure that you fully understand all the details of your policy before taking out any insurance for your moped or scooter, as this will help you get the right cover in place.

At Carole Nash, we offer a wide range of scooter insurance policies, and getting a quote through us is simple – you can either fill out our online form or give us a call.