Carole Nash
Content Writer
Published: 24th August 2019

It’s no secret that being in a road accident can be a stressful experience, particularly if it’s someone else’s fault. But if you then discover that the other driver or motorcyclist involved has no insurance, it can become even more difficult to deal with the situation.

It’s a criminal offence to drive an uninsured car or motorbike, but that doesn’t prevent some motorists from going on the road without insurance.

Thankfully, a collision with an uninsured driver or biker doesn’t automatically spell trouble. By following the advice below, you can often reduce the financial impact and keep stress to a minimum.

How common is driving without insurance?

According to The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB), an estimated one million uninsured vehicles are being driven on UK roads. That means that one in every 38 vehicles have no insurance.

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) was established in 1946 to compensate victims of negligent uninsured and untraced motorists. It deals with claims for vehicle and property damage as well as injury, handling over 20,000 claims against uninsured and untraced motorists each year. It also works closely with the government and police to combat the widespread issue of uninsured drivers.

What to do if you’re hit by an uninsured driver

If your car is damaged during an accident with an uninsured driver or rider, or you’re injured in the collision, there are steps you can take.

Get the details

Ask the person involved for their name and address. Take a photo of the registration number if possible and make a note of the make and model of the vehicle.

If the motorist says their vehicle is insured by their employer, ask for the employer’s details too.

It’s not uncommon for some uninsured drivers to refuse to give insurance details. Some will also refuse to show you their drivers licence or part with any personal information at all.

If this happens, get in touch with the police on a non-emergency number as soon as you can to file a formal complaint. Only dial 999 if the accident is serious and someone is badly injured.

Collect information about your losses

Track and keep evidence of any losses you experience as a result of the accident. If your vehicle has been damaged, try to obtain an estimate of how much it will cost to fix or replace.

Contact your insurer

It’s important that you report the accident to your insurer as soon as you can. By doing so, they will advise you on the next steps to take to minimise the impact that the other driver’s lack of insurance has on you. At Carole Nash, for those that take out comprehensive motorbike insurance cover, you’ll get support regarding damage repairs, medical treatment, the cost of vehicle recovery, and compensation.

What to do if you’re involved in a hit and run

If the other motorist does not stop or they drive away before you’ve had chance to speak to them or obtain their details, try to get their vehicle registration. If that’s not possible, look around to see if there were any witnesses. Getting witnesses’ details can be invaluable when you need to speak to the police, lawyers or insurers following the accident with an uninsured motorist.